29th June 2012
If you’re looking for a simple homemade favour idea for your wedding- here’s an option to consider- Orange & Cardamon (Elachi) biscuits presented in a pretty D.I.Y box.
What you will need:
125g plain flour, 125g Butter, 75g Caster sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 6 Cardamom pods, pinch of baking soda, Zest of 1 orange
1) Beat together sugar, butter and vanilla till pale and fluffy
2) Open cardamom pods and crush seeds with pestle and mortar. Add to butter/sugar/vanilla mix along with the orange zest
3) Sift the flour and baking soda into the bowl and then mix into a soft dough.
4) Place in a covered bowl in the fridge for an hour
5) Roll out the dough until 2cm in width- then get using biscuit cutters cut the biscuits and place onto greaseproof paper
6) Bake in the oven for 15-20 mins and then cool on a wire rack.
7) Once cool dust with icing sugar.
This made approx 25 medium size biscuits-you can always halve the size of the biscuits and use smaller boxes if you want to reduce prep time and costs.
I’ve used a plain white box and added two sheets of pink tissue paper inside the box and three biscuits.
To make the box more interesting I glued two sheets of tissue paper across the lid and then using some lace I had tied it into a bow. You can always add a name tag onto each box so it doubles up as a favour & name place.
This recipe is adapted from a recipe published in The Times